It will be repeated ad nauseam and Emma Alberici did an excellent job confronting Acting Special Minister of State Mathias Cormann with this list of broken promises:
- No cuts to the ABC.
- No cuts to SBS.
- Spend a week a year as PM in an Indigenous community.
- Introduce a rolled-gold 26 week paid parental leave scheme.
- Not shutting any Medicare locals.
- No one’s personal tax will go up. Hello, deficit tax.
- From 2014/15, the $5 billion aid budget will grow each year in line with the Consumer Price Index.
So what’s so special about the election promise on the plebiscite for marriage equality?
The answer is that it’s not important.
It simply part of frantic rearguard action on the part of the Conservative Christian right wing of the Coalition to avoid marriage equality in Australia.
And you have to hand it to them, they’re fighting the battle extremely well.
But, it is time that members of the Liberal party and in particular Mathias Cormann, Tony Abbott. Scott Morrison, Peter Dutton and Malcolm Turnbull et al stop making hypocritical statements about keeping promises.
No one believes them any more and they simply look increasingly silly.