Donald Trump is a blogger’s delight. Every day, he does something that you can write about.
Today; it’s the extraordinary claim that his lawyer, Michael Cohen, pleaded guilty to what “US District Judge William Pauley called a “veritable smorgasbord of criminal conduct”. Pauley sentenced Cohen to 3 years in prison.
It probably didn’t occur to the Donald that Cohen may have pleaded guilty because he was guilty. It’s worth watching the video on the link in this blog where the prosecuting attorney outlines Cohen’s lies.
The convictions related to the payments to former Playboy playmate Karen McDougal and adult-film star Stormy Daniels.
The Elf on the Shelf has reported back to Santa Claus and he hasn’t given The Donald a very good report card. The Santa Sack is going to be full of some nasties:
- Trump’s former campaign chairman and national security adviser are now awaiting sentencing on separate charges.
- The Mueller inquiry which Trump describes as a “witch hunt” is turning up an awful lot of witches.
- The White House is in disarray because of the departure of chief-of-staff John Kelly and was no clear plan to find a successor.
- Trump is clearly peeved that he hasn’t delivered his signature campaign promise – a border wall – after two years of total Republican rule in Washington, DC. and appears little prospect that the Democrat dominated house is going to vote him the money.
- Congressional Democrats are salivating at the prospect of digging into Trump’s business affairs and proposing their own policies.
House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer made it quite clear in a fairly clear in an unedifying publicly televised discussion with the President that they are going to take a fairly aggressive line in the new Congressional term and that the President will not be able to expect funding for his core promise of the wall on the Mexican border.